Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Boxed In

I've been thinking a lot about boxes. Not moving boxes or gift boxes, but the boxes that society seems to want to put us and our children in. Today as I was leaving little guy's kindergarten screening, I was handed 2 little pamphlet's outlining what my child should be able to do at this point..complete with check boxes. After running through the list, I had to chuckle to myself. Can count 1 to 10, check. Can spell his/her name, check. Can identify primary shapes and colors, check.

What should really be on that list are things like:
Will likely try to take another kid's toy even though he knows he shouldn't, check.
Will wipe hands on his shirt after eating his snack, check.
Will run at full speed in an open field and not stop until you say the word freeze, check.

I guess what I'm getting at is that putting kids on a check list is a little scary. There are many things my son can do and I really just want him to be a boy. Love Jesus, have fun, play hard, learn to share, be carefree, kind and friendly.

I honestly don't believe I'll be looking at the checklist again. I certainly don't have a checklist for my current status in life. Can you imagine: The Housewife Checklist: Cook, check. Clean the house, check. Serve healthy meals, check. Break up arguments, check.

Thank the Lord that he doesn't try to put us in a box. Salvation is for everyone - no matter who you are. He doesn't care if you can count to 10 in English, Spanish or French. He doesn't require for you to come to Him reciting your ABCs or only after you've mastered Algebra. God made us and wants us to look to him and to model our lives after his. We don't have to try to complete a check list with God... just follow his instructions which are in the Bible. I took great comfort today after reading through little guy's check list that God doesn't see him that way. God has already equipped him with all the tools and resources he needs to succeed and achieve whatever it is that God has for him. So, be encouraged today... if you feel like you or your children are being boxed in...remember this verse: Psalm 139:14 " I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Very nice! I don't think I would fit into any box either. I love the cartoon in yesterday's post! It reminded me so much of Michael. He clung to me all the time. I literally could not even wash the dishes without him hanging onto the back of my shirt. Phil never believed me until he came home from work one night and saw me trying to wash dishes with Michael hanging on the back of my shirt. I told him that's how I spent all day, every day...I miss that!!!!

A House FULL of Grace said...

Great post, Beth, and such a great, truthful reminder of God's acceptance of us! Why is it so easy to forget?...

Sadly, Chris probably won't learn to love Jesus, share, be carefree, kind or friendly at school, but that's why God gave him such wonderful parents! :o)

Love you lots!!!
Sara