Monday, November 3, 2008

What's That Noise?

God bless my husband. He, unfortunately, has to live with me, a very light sleeper. He has a very difficult time falling back to sleep if he wakes up in the middle of the night, which is exactly what happened last night. Around 3:00 am, I heard a noise... it was the chirping of one of our smoke detectors. The kind of chirp that reminds you that it's time to change the battery. It only beeps once every few minutes. Just a long enough interval so you think you heard something, turn over to go back to sleep, and then it beeps again just as you are drifting off to La La Land.

After the 3rd chirp, I was fully awake and irritated. Part of the problem is locating the culprit. Which one of the smoke detectors was making the noise. Steve had just changed several of the batteries during our black out last week when some of them starting chirping. So, here we are with round two, at 3:00 am. Steve hears me up and about and he got up, went all the way to the basement to grab a step stool, batteries and a screw driver and set about changing the batteries. Part of the problem in finding the right detector was that sound truly travels in our townhouse because the upstairs is sort of like a loft that overlooks the kitchen, so there's an echo. Just when we thought we got the right one, we'd hear another chirp. I think by the 3rd detector we finally got it right. So, while he was up, Steve changed the batteries on the carbon monoxide detectors too.

So, thankfully, my loving husband took care of the chirps and I drifted off to sleep and he went downstairs to watch some of his favorite shows on TiVo to help him fall back to sleep. I know he was up for a long time and he has a very long day ahead of him at work.

Thanks, honey, for all you do. We love you!! And yes, Chris did manage to sleep through the whole thing... whew!!

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

I can so relate to this! I hate when ours go off and you stand there and it seems like it's FOREVER before you can find the one that's beeping. BUT in our new house our smoke alarms are somehow connected to the electrical system, about a few months after we moved in, they all go off at once...in the middle of the night, Phil's not home...scared to death! Okay, no fire. A few months later it happens again, only now I know better. Fast forward a year or so later and Phil is home and it happens...he jumps out of bed yelling at me to get up! I'm laying there very calmly telling him this has happened before, don't worry. He could not figure out why I hadn't called anyone to check out the problem, so he did and so far so good!

Busy Mom in CA said...

That's too funny! Nothing like a loud beep to wake you from a sound sleep!