Monday, November 10, 2008

Driver's Ed 101

Apparently I need a refresher course in driving... more specifically, parallel parking. I was horrified yesterday to discover that my superb parking skills had greatly diminished in the four years since I last lived in an urban setting. Most places in Florida, and where we live now, only require straight, pull-in parking. But the parking lot near our church in Montclair has only limited pull-in parking and it was full. We typically parallel park on the street, but Steve is usually the driver. Yesterday I had to park the car. I didn't even occur to me that this would be a problem. I didn't give it a second thought. I just proceeded with backing into the spot.

I don't think I had ever attempted to parallel park a minivan in my life and let me tell you, it takes a lot of precision in estimating the length of your vehicle and how close you are to the curb. Thankfully, Christopher really didn't realize mommy's total frustration about having to try four or five times before getting it right. Thankfully, the street wasn't very busy and there were no spectators to laugh at this crazy lady with Florida plates trying to park her big minivan. I'm sure it was quite the scene. Let's just say, I was a minute away from parking far away from the church in a pull-in spot and just walking it.

Let's hope they don't ask me to parallel park when I get my NJ license.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Yep, me too. I was a terrific parker in NYC...now paralle parking isn't good for me.

Lois Christensen said...

I actually drive around and around looking for a parking spot that I can just pull into! I hate to think if I would pass that part of a driving exam!