Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hiss

I don't know if you have ever had experience with Aerobeds. It's a great concept. You have an inflatable mattress so when guests come over, you get out the bed, plug the cord into an outlet, and presto... in a matter of minutes you have a twin or queen size bed ready to go. When these mattresses work, they are great and pretty comfy if you throw some comforters on them. However, if you get a leak, especially one you can't find, it can be very frustrating.

My sister-in-law, Shirley, has a queen size aerobed that she graciously uses whenever we stay at her house. It's huge.. it truly blows up to the size of a full size queen size bed and it has gotten quite a little work out since it was purchased earlier this year. These things are not cheap, so you can imagine how frustrating it is when you realize that the mattress has a slow leak in it. We were all sleeping in Shirley's room and, in the middle of the night, I would hear her with the remote, pumping more air into the mattress. The poor thing, if she didn't do that, she and Christopher (her bunk mate) would have wound up on the floor by morning. There was definitely a slow leak.. we just didn't know where.

Anyway, not long ago, we were at her house and she was getting the bed set up. She had the television on in her room and as soon as I walked in, I said to her "What's that noise?" I hear a hissing. Which honestly, with the TV on, I'm surprised I heard anything. She didn't know what I was talking about, but I walked over to the air mattress and literally within a matter of 5 seconds, I had located the small hole by the hiss it made (and then I felt the air coming out). She laughed at me and said she couldn't believe it, because she literally just prayed that God would make this air bed work because it was really frustrating that we couldn't find out where the hole was. So, how funny is that!?

God can use you in strange and unusual ways sometimes.

No comments: