Monday, November 24, 2008

Holiday Tradition

With Thanksgiving and Christmas quickly approaching, I find myself thinking of Mom more often... it's just natural for people who have lost a loved one to reflect on them during these special occasions. I must admit the one tradition I miss the most was one that she and I shared every year exclusively. The day after Christmas she and I would head out right after breakfast to the Hallmark card store. All cards, holiday wrapping, bows, etc. were at least 50 - 75% off and we stocked up on all of it for the following year. (This was definitely in the pre Wal-Mart, Target years). We hit that Hallmark store rain, shine, sleet or snow. It didn't slow us down. We were going. It was such fun to shop together and hunt for the best bargains. Often our trips would end at our favorite German Bakery, Kopp's. I looked forward to that every year since as long as I can remember.

For years after mom passed away, the day after Christmas was hard for me. I missed our tradition and going by myself wasn't as fun or meaningful. I missed being joyful on that day. Isn't it just like our God to orchestrate the birth of my one and only son on the day after Christmas!? There is so much joy in my heart on that day once again and I know that it is not a coincidence that Christopher was born that day. A new tradition, a special birthday is celebrated every December 26th.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Ohhhh, just all I can say is, Yeah God is good and always looking out for us.

Lois Christensen said...

So the Lord took your pain and replaced it with so much more joy. You can't help but be happy on your son's birthday! Very nice story.

Liz said...

Love the story.....all I can say!