One thing I have vowed never to do again is shop on Black Friday. Two years ago, my sister-in-law and I thought we would give it a go. We are the queens of bargain shopping and would never miss a "too good to be true" sale of any kind. So, we set our alarms, got up VERY early in the morning, threw on some clothes and off we went to Kohls which was literally 5 minutes from my house in Florida. The parking lot was packed and it took us a long time to find a spot. By the time we got a spot (a pull in spot, not parallel thank God) and worked our way into the store it was already 6:00 am.
As we were pulling bargains off the shelves, I couldn't get over the fact that there were tons of little kids (5 and younger) in the store with either one or both of their parents. It's one thing to drag myself out of bed at that ungodly hour, but there is no way I would take my son - he would be miserable which would in return make me miserable. No sensible person wakes a toddler from a sound sleep unless there is an emergency... I don't count Black Friday as an emergency.
Anyway, We grabbed all kinds of bargains and, feeling quite accomplished, we headed for the cashier line. The line went back as far as the eye could see and wrapped around the corner. By the time we got to the end of the line, we were back where we started from... The approximate wait.... TWO hours!! We looked at each other... dropped all the stuff we had in our arms and headed out the door, down the street to buy bagels and were back home before the guys were even awake. The words Never Again were uttered more than once. Some bargains are just not worth that type of wasted time.
So this year, I am happy to report that 85% of my shopping is already finished so on Black Friday I can pull out my Christmas decorations, have some hot chocolate and just enjoy a nice day with my family.
2 comments:
Nothing done here. Last year we went shopping that Sat after Thanksgiving, cause my Dad was in the hospital the day after Thanksgiving. That day was fine, and it was even fun.
I'm pretty much done with my shopping as well, except for a few things for the kids or an Davey. I've never done Black Friday because I use to have to work on that day and I know how crazy it can be. I agree, leave the kids home! It's stressful enough without screaming kids at 5:00 in the morning!
Post a Comment