Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I'm Having A Moment...

Yesterday there was a moment that about broke my heart and made me so proud all in the same breath. We took Chris to the town pool and he couldn't have been more excited. The only thing on his mind is the slide they have in the toddler pool. It's shaped like a frog and the actual "slide" part is the frog's tongue. Very cute and he literally spends hours on that thing. The depth of the water at the end of the slide isn't super deep, but deep enough that Steve or I would be at the end of the slide to "catch" Chris and help ensure that he was able to get back to the wall or the ladder (aka - safety).

Well yesterday, he was feeling a little more comfortable, a little more brave and with a little encouragement and direction, he was able to come down the slide, drop into the pool and make his way over to the ladder by himself. He's learning to swim, so I'm still close by to ensure his safety, but it was a moment... he doesn't need me for this anymore. How many moments have I already encountered like this. He's growing and thriving, developing his own personality and is becoming more independent. It's hard and wonderful all rolled up into one. I want to believe he'll always need me and I know he will for one thing or another, but oh how I want to bottle up this time and just treasure these moments when he still wants a hug, a kiss, to hold my hand, to snuggle in bed and to just hang out with mom. I know that too will become less and less over time, so I'm just savoring the moments.

1 comment:

Lianne said...

Oh, your baby is growing up! You made me tear up a little at the end. I love holding hands with my little guy, and I know the clock is ticking for how much longer he'll let me do that!

Both my son and daughter learned to swim this summer. It's just one more step in the growing-up process that seems to be happening so fast!