While visiting my FIL (father-in-law, Domingo) recently, Chris was quoting some of the scripture verses that he has memorized here at home. I'm trying to have him memorize one a week. I write them on index cards and post them by his computer and he has been doing a great job remembering them. So, we were sitting with Domingo and I said to him, "I think it's time for a new verse. Do you have a favorite that you would like for me to teach Chris?" Since he is not able to use his voice fully at this point and still has limited mobility with his hands, he nodded empathically that yes, indeed, he had a scripture in mind.
We brought a Bible to him and through some guesswork and shake your head yes or no, we figured out that the verse he wanted to impart to Chris was Proverbs 3:1. " My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart". I burst into tears... what a beautiful verse, but even more so, was the deep emotion that spilled out from my FIL to Chris through this verse. Here is Domingo, unable to read his Bible everyday, unable to sing praises out loud to Jesus, but holding on and clinging to the verses he has committed to memory. Can you imagine how you would feel if you were unable to audibly cry out to the Lord at your greatest time of need? It was so moving to realize that Domingo has been doing just what this verse said... not forgetting the Lord's teachings (or promises), but keeping them in his heart and thinking on those things. I love verse 2 of this chapter as well. It goes on to say "..For they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity."
We are seeing wonderful things happen in Domingo's life. He looks more like himself (from before the stroke) these days. He is able to eat more solid foods and last night was the first time since March that he did not have a feeding through the feeding tube. He is getting stronger, is able to laugh so hard that we can hear him laugh. I was able to share a morning cup of coffee with him -- that was a treat! We are believing that he'll be talking and walking within the next few months-- please continue to pray and believe with us!
No comments:
Post a Comment