Monday, August 17, 2009

The Battlefield

In each church I join, I like to serve in some way. I've been on worship teams, sang in choir, played keyboard or piano, Missionettes, Youth Leader, etc. I truly believe that just because I have a gift or talent in an area, that I still need to seek God's guidance and direction for what ministry he needs me and wants me in. I feel it would be a big mistake to be in a ministry that God didn't need me in --- what if there was someone else he wanted to use in that area and because I was ministering and filling their spot, I was in the way? Anyway, that's just me. Well, at our current church, I'm working on the front line... on the battlefield... the NURSERY!

The first thing I want to say is that this is no cushy job. I leave there sweating, exhausted and in need of a shower. I've been spit up on, slobbered on and God knows what else during those 2 hours. It is WORK!! The kids are so precious and keep me on my toes!! We've had as many as 23 kids at one time in the nursery. Here are some observations from my experiences over the years:

1) The child to pee through their clothes will be the one child whose parent did not pack an extra pair of clothes in their diaper bag. Who goes out without an extra pair of clothes for a baby? (I'm just saying..)

2) Bite marks and accident reports are inevitable -- never thought I'd have to explain either of these to parents, but sadly, it happens.

3) For the first timers ---- Do not come into the nursery with your child... just pass them off to the nursery attendant. Yes, they will scream at first when you leave, but it's all an act -- they'll get over it -- we just need you to leave so we can get them into the mix of things fast !!

4) Please don't ask me to serve your child a separate snack (unless they have a food allergy). Trust me.. your kid is just going to want to eat the animal crackers like everyone else's kid not to mention how all the other kids will want the one little snack you provided for your child.

One of the best things about teaching young kids is that they love to learn about Jesus... it's so true. They are the best worshippers, by far!

No comments: