Thursday, April 16, 2009

House of Style

I don't know about you...but most days it's all I can do to throw on some clothes, try to work my hair into some sort of order and dash out the door. I definitely have noticed a pattern since getting married. Do you remember your dating years? You know.. when you actually had time to take a shower with the door locked without anyone interrupting you. You could relax while carefully applying makeup and selecting nothing but your best outfit (and you had plenty of them to choose from!) You could wear heels back then because you weren't chasing after toddlers and you could use an "evening" bag because there was no need to throw wipes, crayons, cars, little toys, lollipops, a spare shirt, etc. into a huge "mommy" bag. You not only looked good, but you smelled good too. Your favorite fragrance was always close at hand.

After having Christopher, things changed again. My clothes were soiled with formula, spit up and other questionable substances, my hair was matted down with similar mysterious items, my makeup (if any was even applied in the morning) had worn off, rubbed off or was resting somewhere below my neck by the time Steve got home. My nails were brittle, short and in need of a major manicure. I smelled of who knows what.. hopefully Johnson's baby lotion if I was lucky enough to get some on me at all while bathing and dressing Chris.

Now that Christopher is a toddler, I'm once again embarking on a sense of style. One preferably that doesn't have "mommy" stamped all over it. It's hard some mornings to pull yourself together, get everyone fed, dressed and out the door, but it is doable. I'm striving to be more dressed and put together like when we were dating. Taking time with my hair, makeup, clothes, etc. Taking time again for myself. Who knows... maybe I'll splurge and lock the door and take a nice, long relaxing bath tonight. I think it changes your whole outlook on your day when you are put together instead of thrown together which is how I've felt over the last year or so.

I know my hubby loves me no matter the stage of life (or style) I happen to be in. That's the great thing and I'm truly blessed. I know God is more concerned with the inside and I'm working on that too. But I think it's important that I show my husband that I still care about him and that when he gets home from work he is not getting what's leftover but I am still somewhat put together. God's still working on me.. inside and out.

Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

I can definitely relate. It does get better!! And for the record, I've never really seen you looking nothing but your best!! Don't be so hard on yourself! We all have days where we'd rather not have to look in a mirror! And hope that no one rings the bell!

Lianne said...

I love your attitude on this. I used to have nightmares when my husband and I were dating that he would accidentally brush up against my unshaved leg. Needless to say, I got over that, waaaay over that, after the kids came along. I realized that the outer part of me is what first got his attention, but it was my heart that kept his interest.

I wish I had my pre-babies body, but I wouldn't trade them or the experiences I've gained because of them for anything!

Great post!