Do you remember life before cell phones? How did we we get through our daily lives without these handy little devices? I recall a lot of frustrated drivers in those days. Allow me to share this story about a time when having a cell phone would have come in handy.
It was one of the most important days of my life thus far. My college graduation. It was a beautiful and very exciting day and I was thrilled that my entire family was there to help celebrate. After the wonderful ceremony and many tearful goodbyes to my wonderful friends, it was time to pack up the cars and head home. I had my own car and my parents had their car. So, we loaded both vehicles and Mom decided she would ride with me and Dad was by himself. So, we headed out for the 3+ hour drive from Pennsylvania to New York. Still basking in the glow of the day, I was ready to conquer the trip.
All was going well... Mom & I were following Dad...that was until he decided he had to make a pit-stop. We're driving along, and all of a sudden, Dad is signaling to get off the exit. So, I quickly got over to the exit ramp. By the time I got to the end of the ramp, Dad was no where to be seen. I didn't know if he went left or right. I figured, he most likely went right, so I turned right. I drove for a few minutes hoping to spot his car in a gas station or fast food restaurant lot so I'd know where he pulled over to use the facilities. But we didn't see him. So, I made a U-turn figuring he made a left at the ramp.
Just as I completed the U-turn and started heading back towards the highway, there goes my Dad zooming by me going the other direction. I was like, "No way!". So, I quickly pulled over at the next possible road, made another U-Turn and went to find him. I no sooner started off again and my Dad passed me AGAIN! This happened not once, not twice, but about four times! By this time, I was losing my cool...quickly. My mom, however, found this entire episode hilarious! She was bent over, tears rolling down her eyes, hysterical in laughter. The more she laughed, the angrier I was getting. Why didn't Dad just stay put??!?!?
So, at this point, the "ugly Sicilian" in me reared her head and I determined that I was not going to move again. I was staying put and that way, I would ensure that next time Dad drove by, we would reconnect. Well, we sat, and sat, and sat. Apparently, Dad had the same idea. So, it was a battle of the wills. In the end, Dad came by again and found us. We regrouped and made it back to NY without any further instances.
It definitely would have helped to have a cell phone that day, although I think the memory I have of that day is a treasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment