I knew I was in trouble the moment the words came out of my mouth. My five year old is well aware that my birthday is this Saturday. We've also explained to him that Mommy and Daddy were married on that same day, so we will be celebrating my birthday and our wedding anniversary. Usually Steve & I try to get away for these celebrations, but this year we are playing it low key and Chris will be celebrating with us. So, the lightbulb moment for him was when he saw Mommy wrapping a gift for Daddy.
"Mommy, what am I getting on Saturday"
"There won't be a gift for you honey... this is Mommy and Daddy's special day"
With a horrified look on his face... "No gift for me??"
"Not this time.. just the honor of joining us for a special lunch that day"
Insert fake tears and a sob... "That's not nice Mommy. Everyone should get a gift."
"Look at this way. Mommy and Daddy celebrate their special day on Saturday and then the next day Mommy is taking you to Florida for a week. That's super special!"
The smile returned and he scampered off... I think I'm off the hook for now... until Saturday.
3 comments:
Oh boy! I hope you have happy birthday/anniversary!
I can kinda relate. My son was born on my 4th anniversary. Candlelight dinners and romantic getaways have been replaced with Chuck E. Cheese, birthday candles, and bounce houses.
You know what? I agree with Chris. Everyone should have a present!!! Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary and Happy Trip to Florida!!! Enjoy your time away and say hi to Ruth and Glen and your dad for me!!!
I didn't know you got married on your Birthday!! Well...Happy Anniversary to us!! :) and Happy Birthday Beth! I know you'll have lot's of fun in Florida. You deserve a much needed rest so enjoy every minute! Hugs for your family.
Love You!
Post a Comment