Wednesday, December 16, 2009

She Lost That Lovin' Feeling

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a grumpy cashier at Wal-Mart. I had to run there this morning to pick up a few things for Chris' upcoming "holiday" party at school (God forbid they use the word Christmas in school.. but that's another story). It didn't take me long to grab the few items I needed and I made a bee-line for the express lane. In keeping with Wal-Mart's tradition... they only had one express lane open, 4 regular lanes open and about 23 lanes closed.

The line in front of me was short so I was glad. The lady in front of me obviously was squeezing in some last minute shopping and had a few mid-sized gifts and a big bag of dog food. I thought nothing of it as she clearly had less than 10 items. I always count.. isn't that terrible... as if I would actually speak up and give someone grief if they had 12 or 15 items in their cart.

Anyway, it finally was my turn and the cashier didn't even greet me. So, I gave her my most cheery "Hello.. how are you?" She sort of grunted a reply and then she went on to complain how the woman in front of me had large items and how she was sick and tired of people with large items coming through the express lane. I was taken back and told her, "but at least she only had 8 items... the sign says express lane for 10 items or less. She clearly had less." The cashier did not want to hear it. Apparently there is some unspoken (and unwritten) law in her mind that you can not check out a large item in the express lane. That was news to me. Perhaps I'm not savvy in that regard... or just plain didn't care up until now.

The point is... this cashier clearly wasn't in the Christmas spirit. No joy.. no love. I told her that Wal-Mart should be glad people are buying big items. She didn't like that. Oh well... perhaps I'll call the customer satisfaction survey line and tell them about my experience. I think I owe it to them. Merry Christmas from Wal-Mart.

1 comment:

Lois Christensen said...

Nice to know that someone else counts as well. Now tell me, if you have two of the same item, does that count as one??? Someone once told me that but hubby refuses to abide by that.

And I would never say anything to someone who had more than ten items either. Just couldn't bring myself to speak up but would give them my evil eye.

Nice to see someone was happy this morning!