Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Don't Take the Short Cut

I LOVE to bake. I really love to bake. I'm not Martha Stewart by any means because I don't have a creative bone in me... but give me a recipe, a measuring cup, some flour, a baking sheet, my apron and I'm in heaven.

I've had some unexpected stuff happen these last few weeks, which basically has thrown my usual "Christmas To Do List" into complete chaos. I'm running behind and feeling the pressure. Soooooooo.... I decided to take a baking short cut today. Instead of making my tried and true sugar cookie recipe, I used a store-bought (GASP!!) dough. I got out my cookie cutters, had my little work area all set up and away I went.

Words can not express the look on Christopher's face when I pulled the first batch from the oven. "Mommy, what ARE THOSE SUPPOSED TO BE??"

"Um... sugar cookies..."

"What happened to the snowflake, snowman and Christmas tree shapes?

"I don't know... I guess I should have used my other recipe"

It was really a disaster. The next batch was a little better, and by the third batch I was finally satisfied with the product. I was really hoping to use some of these as gifts. Hopefully I won't have any issues when I make the rest of my Christmas cookies. I learned my lesson... Quicker is not always better.

On the plus side, my hubby will be pleased to see the tupperware container in the kitchen that says, "Reject sugar cookies -- please help yourself!"

No comments: