Yesterday I lost all hope of becoming Mother of the Year. Let me start by saying that we live in a great neighborhood with lots of children around Chris' age to play with. The parents are awesome, very nurturing, attentive and all around nice people. We sit outside for hours watching our kids.
The downside is that our doorbell rings every day at 4:00 pm and, since Chris is still young, I feel it is imperative that I be out there to supervise. We live on a busy street and some cars just whip around the corner so I am the dedicated "yeller" for the block.
Anyway, yesterday was a typical day (except for the back ache which I blogged about). We went outside so Chris could ride bikes and, before long, it was time to come inside to have dinner. I was distracted because one of the boys on our block fell off his bike and I offered to grab a bandaid from our house. Meanwhile, another mom was outside watching the kids, including my own who was instructed by me to put his bike away and go inside to wash up.
I handed out the bandaid, shut the trunk to my van (the place where me and my friend sit to watch our kids play -- like a tail gate party) made sure the bike and helmet were in the garage and then I went inside too. I closed the garage, and proceeded to put in a load of laundry. I started to call for Chris just to see if he was done washing his hands and what he was up to... no answer. I ran upstairs.. no where to be found on the first floor.... ran to the second floor... no where to be seen or heard.... I started to panic... where did he go?
I ran back outside and asked one of the other kids if they had seen him... no she had not! I had the worst thoughts going through my mind... where could this boy be? I turned around to run back inside to check again when all of a sudden, I saw him SITTING IN THE TRUNK OF MY VAN ! We have dark glass in the back of the van so it's a miracle I even saw him at all... my son has been in the trunk of our van for at least 10 minutes! ! I was freaking out. I quickly opened it up, saw that he was fine... not at all phased by the fact that his mother was a mess and he was sipping on a Capri Sun drink that I had recently purchased and just had forgotten to take into the house. He was reading a book... he said he was fine and wasn't scared.. he thought it was more like hide and seek. Many of my long time readers will remember another scary incident where I thought he was lost. You can read about that here... funny that it happened just about this time last year. Hmmmmm..
Anyway, needless to say I'll be doing a more thorough inspection and walking him inside every afternoon.... Time to go pop some more extra strength Tylenol... suddenly my back is feeling tight again... wonder why.
2 comments:
I know you Beth...you are a great Mom! A funny story but I know stressful for you. We've all been there! Have many stories about my grandkids and mine. When Steven was 3yrs. I thought he left the house and was GONE. We searched all over, even got the neighbors envolved. About to call police, but we made one more check and found him in the basement, under a pile of rags, sleeping!!! he had made a mess in his pants and was hiding from us and fell asleep!!!!Another time we lost him in a French speaking Mall in Canada...oh boy!!! Give Chris a hug for me...seems like he was just fine! and you will be too... Love you!
We all have stories like this! When we moved into our second house, Michael was 2 and we were so busy with the movers and all, I suddenly realized that I couldn't find Michael. ANYWHERE. Phil and I started running up and down the block shouting for him, thinking maybe he walked to the park across the street when suddenly the movers called to us that they found him in the back of the moving truck. What these kids put us through some days, right?? Hope your back is better!!!
Post a Comment