Monday, December 22, 2008

A Rekindled Friendship

I don't know about you, but I'm guilty of letting some friendships that were very important to me ride off into the sunset. I didn't mean for it to happen, but somehow distance or a move just made it more difficult for us to stay connected.

Several years ago, I let a very important friendship in my life slip out of my hands. I don't even know the reasons why we stopped calling or trying to stay in touch, it just happened. My friend Camille and I did so much together when we were in our 20s. And then one month of no contact turned into two, which turned into three months and then into six years. Major things in my life happened during those six years where I could have reached out to her: My mom died, one of our best mutual friends died, I got married and then later had a child. Yet, through it all, we had no contact. Then one day, I found out through another mutual friend, that Camille's mother died. My heart ached so bad for her. Our mutual friend told me that Camille was still single (as was I when my mom died) and I couldn't bear the pain she was going through. I dug through my phone book and found her number. Anxiously, I dialed her number not knowing what to expect when she picked up.

All I can say is that I truly believe that God puts people in our paths during various seasons of our life. Camille and I spent a long time talking that day, catching up on our lives, grieving together over the lose of her mom and connecting so easily as it had been so many years earlier. It turns out there was no rift between us - we were just two good friends who got busy with life and didn't make time for each other. We just let a great friendship sit on the sidelines for many years. I'd give anything to go back and have had Camille a part of some of those important milestones in my life.

I'm very grateful that we now talk regularly and so happy that during this reconnection time she met the man of her dreams and will be getting married next year. Although I won't be able to go to Maui for the wedding (don't I wish I could go!!!) I feel honored and blessed because she will be wearing my veil and tiara on her wedding day.

Some friendships are worth that extra phone call... even if it has been a while. If God puts a friend on your heart today, give her a call. "A friend loveth at all times" Proverbs 17:17

4 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Same thing with me...lost touch with my best friend from high school BUT found her 2 weeks ago on Facebook, so now we communicate again! True friendships last! Enjoy your day!

Sue said...

Beth - read my blog post today and you will know why your entry today made me cry.

A House FULL of Grace said...

Thanks for sharing. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we forget about the importance of the people God has given us to share the burdens of life. I am so guilty of this.

And I am so thankful for you. During these past years when it's been hard for me to reach out and open up, thank you for still loving me and being there. You are a precious gift, my dear sister.

Lois Christensen said...

I think we're all guilty of this. And I'm glad that we have places like blogging and Facebook to reconnect with friends and keep in touch in our busy lives.