Well, we made it. It took us about 21 hours to drive down to my sister's house. We woke up at 3:00 am on Monday morning and were on the road by 4:00 am. I had put Chris to bed on Sunday night fully clothed for an early morning departure so he knew what to expect when Mommy woke him up in the middle of the night. He did so great! He slept a little bit in the morning, and then he and I played games, sang songs, colored and just tried to pass the time.
I have to mention that it was freezing the entire way down to Florida. Seriously, I kept watching the car temperature gauge, expecting it to creep up. It didn't get passed 40 degrees until we hit Jacksonville, Florida.
All was fine in the car until about hour 12. It was at that point Chris realized that although we were on our way to Aunt Ruth's house, we wouldn't actually be arriving there today. Now for weeks, I've been explaining to him that this trip takes two days by car. But I guess the only thing that really registered was that we were going to Aunt Ruth's and he fully expected us to drive all the way there on Monday. Well, that just wasn't going to happen. It took me about an hour to calm him down (I mean bribe him to calm down) with promises that we were going to stay at a Marriott hotel (his favorite hotel) and that perhaps there was going to be an indoor pool that he could swim in that evening. So, eventually that was the golden rod that he held on to as we continued our journey. When all was said and done, we drove 15 hours that first day. (Steve did all the driving, bless his heart). We ate dinner and then, as promised, whisked Chris off to the pool. At least it helped him get a good night's sleep.
We safely arrived at Ruth & Glen's house on Tuesday afternoon. We are so glad to be here, are enjoying the awesome sunshine and are getting ready for a wonderful Christmas celebration. Rachel and I just baked cookies and Steve, Chris & Matt are in the pool.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and God's richest blessings!!
No comments:
Post a Comment