Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Rejoice

Chris has a morning routine that involves opening his Chocolate Advent Calendar (thank you Aunt Lou for sending the calendar each year to keep up that tradition), placing a sticker on his Christmas Calendar Countdown and having me read his morning devotion from a beautiful kid's devotional we bought him a few years ago. He takes great pleasure in finding the right month of the year and day of the week in the book.

I usually try to take a peek at what scripture they will be teaching that day and look it up in my bible to get the full context of what it's about. Today's devotional was about rejoicing at Christmas time and the verse was Habakkuk 3:18 "I will rejoice in the Lord". I was so touched by what I read in my Bible when I was researching the verse. The New King James Version stated verse 18 as "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord". Hmm... the yet, made me back track to see what was prompting that choice of word.

"Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, and the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls - Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation" (Habakkuk 3: 17 - 18) Our situations and circumstances are no different from those people from the Bible. They had their fair share of hardships and chose to rejoice in the Lord while going through them. I was really encouraged by this today and hope you will be too. REJOICE!

5 comments:

A House FULL of Grace said...

Fabulous post, Beth. Thanks for doing the research on Chris' post and sharing. What a great encouragement...I'm going to go rejoice in my day now...Hugs!

2 Boys' Mom said...

Beth,

What is the name of the devotional that you are using with Chris? I haven't got one for my boys and would love to see what you are using. Right now I read to them out of a children's bible before they go to bed at night.

Busy Mom in CA said...

It's called "The One Year Book of Devotions for Preschoolers" by Crystal Bowman

2 Boys' Mom said...

Thank you Beth. I just ordered one from Amazon to do with my boys.

Lois Christensen said...

That verse in Habbakuk is one of my favorite! The "Yet" is the most important part...no matter what happens we need to remember to praise our God! Thanks for sharing!