Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Looking for a Few Good Ideas

I need your help!!! We have this big road trip coming up and I am the entertainer for our 4 year old. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to pass the time with a toddler on a long road trip? Thankfully our van has a DVD player so that will help for a little while. I also have a map so we can play the "license plate" game. Any thoughts or tips that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated!!

6 comments:

Sue said...

Benadryl....oops did I say that out loud?? LOL

Let's see, I read somewhere you can wrap a bunch of little stuff and every hour or two hours they get to open the gift and then they play with it. Makes it more exciting than just here's a coloring book.

Lois Christensen said...

I see Sue already mentioned my favorite one! Does he understand the concept of money??? I read somewhere that you can give kids a dollar every hour or so for good behavior and take away for bad and when you get to your destination he can shop for whatever he wants. Just try not to overdo the entertaining...YOU'LL be exhausted when you get to Florida!! Enjoy, when do you leave???

Busy Mom in CA said...

Thanks for the ideas! We are leaving this weekend -- which day depends primarily on the weather reports.

A House FULL of Grace said...

Yep, Sue took the best idea...you can wrap special snacks (stay away from sugar, though!), a new cd, a sticker book, a puzzle, etc.

I've found that my kids stay much quieter listening to stories in the cd player than staying tuned in to a DVD. They pay closer attention when they have to listen. Hit the Christian bookstore for musical types (like Psalty, Hermie, etc.) or the library for books on tape. We just finished Charlotte's Web and they loved it.

2 Boys' Mom said...

I let my 3 year old listen to books on cd and he loves it (I don't know if you have a Walgreens in the area but they are selling 3 books and cds for $9). The dvd player gets a work out too. Thankfully we have not been on a long trip like you are going on....I will pray for you. We too are going out of town tomorrow to celebrate Christmas with family this weekend. Have a great time!

Liz said...

Just give him some Benadryl, hopefully he'll sleep the whole way! Or better yet a tranquilizer! I know all you MOM's out there wanted to suggest this, but I had the guts to actually say it!