Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh My!

No matter where you live in the US, you are sure to encounter some type of critter... in Florida I had to deal with all sorts of insects, creepy crawly things, snakes and alligators. Thankfully, the closest I ever got to an alligator was seeing one on the side of the road near my dad's house (and I was in a car). I detest all things that creep and crawl and please don't ask me to kill it... it takes everything within me to kill a spider... just ask my husband (although I'm getting better at it).

Anyway, here in NJ I thought I'd be back to "normal". Insects that I've dealt with before (ants, spiders, deer, etc.) I guess mentally I didn't think a bear would be thrown into the equation. Well, last week, I took Chris to a little play area right inside our development of townhomes. We had been there plenty of times since we moved in and it gives him a chance to work out all that "boy" energy. So, on this particular day we were there in the early afternoon minding our own business. About 20 minutes after Chris was playing, one of the neighbors came out of his home and as he was getting into his car he called over to me. "Ma'am.. (I hate being called Ma'am...but I'll save that for another blog entry) "You better be careful. There was a bear walking around this park and these townhouses about 2 hours ago... and it was really big" Ok, Chris... we are done. Let's go home! I hightailed it out of there and have cautiously returned to the play area.

When I told my hubby about it, we started thinking.. what in the world would I have done if confronted by a bear??? I knew I couldn't outrun it, or outclimb it. I could start ringing doorbells and pray for someone to be home. I honestly didn't know how to handle a bear. So, I did some research and found out some pretty funny stuff.

How to Escape a Bear:


1) If the bear has not seen you, or if you are in bear country: Announce your presence: talk loudly, sing, or carry "bear bells" so bears have time to escape you. Anyone have a bear bell?? Can I get one for Christmas??

2) If the bear sees you, begin speaking in a low, calm voice (it doesn’t matter what you say) and retreat slowly, keeping an eye on the bear but avoiding direct eye contact.

3) Stand tall, even if the bear charges you. (Are they nuts??? )If the bear sees you and is closer than 300 feet, or if the bear is approaching you, remain calm and try to look as large as possible. (Maybe I should wear high heels to the park to look larger). Try to back away slowly—do not run—and speak softly. If the bear continues to approach as you back away, stop and stand your ground. (yeah, right.) Speak more loudly in a deep, calm voice, and wave you arms to make yourself look bigger. Keep an eye on the bear, but avoid direct eye contact.

4) Play dead if a grizzly bear makes a non-predatory attack. If the bear (other than a black bear) is attacking you in self-defense, you can put it at ease (and save yourself) by playing dead by lying completely flat on the ground. (I honestly couldn't bring myself to do this.. I'd be scared out of my mind). Do so only after the bear makes contact with you or tries to do so.

Maybe some of my more bear saavy friends have some advice for me... bring it on. Or maybe some of your former Royal Rangers... any tips?

1 comment:

Liz said...

Ok, we have a bear in our little community. He/she comes out in the early mornings and gets into our messy neighbors garbage. It has gotten into our garbage once. I would hang out my bedroom window and yell my head off to it. Hey, I don't want to clean up garbage!!! Don't be afraid, they are more afraid of you! Be alert and look around when you go out. Most likely a bear won't come around when there's noise or children at play. It has happened here many of times. It's exciting to see a big black bear! Welcome back to NJ. You should call the police the next time you sight a bear - so they know.