Monday, July 7, 2008

Quiet Time

I like to find "a spot" in each home where I can go to have my quiet time. A place just for me to think, relax, ponder life and, most importantly, to have my daily devotions. Today I found my new spot -- it's the rocking chair in my bedroom. Shortly after Steve and I got married, my father-in-law gave us the rocking chair he bought for his wife when she was pregnant with Steve. It's a beautiful dark wooden chair, that has been cared for with much love through the years. It has no signs of wear on it, except for the handles, where your fingers would rest. I imagine Steve's mom stroked that handle as I found myself doing this morning because they are etched out so nicely and it's so soothing. I couldn't use the rocking chair for quiet time because it was in the living room and there was usually too much activity going on in there.

As I was rocking on the chair this morning reflecting on my devotions, I began thinking about my mother-in-law "Lola". I never met Lola because she had passed away before Steve & I reconnected 6 years ago. Even so, I feel like I've known her my whole life just from the stories her children and my father-in-law have shared with me. I found myself wondering what prayers she prayed from that chair...prayers for her unborn baby, and maybe even a prayer for me his future wife. I find comfort and a closeness to her in that chair and I pray that I can be a Godly mother for my son as Lola was to her children. I think she is smiling down from heaven when she sees me spending my quiet time in her chair. It is by far one of the greatest gifts I have ever received.

No comments: