Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I am attempting to find my way around my new very small town. I'm not in Queens, Tampa or even Lancaster anymore. I've lived in "small towns" before, but, with the exception of Grantham, PA (Where my college was located) this is the smallest town I have ever lived in. I seriously laughed when they delivered my new phone book to my front door. It was the size of a small novel... my phone book in Lancaster was HUGE compared to this one.

Anyway... I'm finding out that sometimes in small town America, it is hard to "fit in" with the locals. The people are generally friendly enough... but it is so hard sometimes when you are not born and raised in a place where everyone and their mother knows you because they had your mom in Sunday School... or so and so gave you piano lessons (you get my drift). I was in the library with little guy yesterday and was basically snubbed by the two ladies who work there. They were gushing over all the kids they know and literally paid no mind to me and Chris even though I really tried to reach out to them. Trust me... anyone who knows me knows how hard it is at first for me to be so outgoing.. it's just not in me. I'm a New Yorker for goodness sake. Let me sit back and observe...and then when I feel somewhat comfortable with you, I'll let my guard down. That worked for me my whole life, but I'm a mom now and my son needs me to be more assertive so I'm trying..really trying.

I know God will lead me to some great people here in small town USA... I just need to keep getting out there each day in hopes of meeting them.

Thanks for letting me vent.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Had the same experiences when we moved here some 15 years ago....finally we are making new friends, through our church that is...people in this town can be very snobby as well...wait until Chris starts school, it will get better - you will be more involved in the community and his school. GET INVOLVED!! Join a playgroup, that will help.

Busy Mom in CA said...

Hi Liz: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I definitely want to join a MOPS group so I'm checking out some options.

2 Boys' Mom said...

I'll be praying for you. I too moved from a large town (San Diego) to a town of stretching to reach 7000. It has been difficult to make friends. We don't have MOPS or anything like that here. I've made a few friends at church but most are a decade younger than me with kids the same age or older than mine and we don't share much in common. I'm hoping with my oldest starting preschool this fall that some friendships will come with that....hopefully for you too if you put your son in preschool too.