Monday, January 26, 2009

True Beauty

Are you feeling beautiful today? God's been really challenging me lately about some of my attitudes. The outside package can be nicely portrayed with a little help from make up. But what about my inside?? Is it beautiful? Does it match the outside appearance or is it a big mess. Some days I feel like the inside is not very pretty and I have to work on that.

There's a new reality show (which I'm saying right now that I have not watched and am not endorsing) called "True Beauty". The concept behind it is that the contestants are all beautiful model types who believe they are in a beauty competition. Unbeknownst to them, each week the judges eliminate them based on their inner beauty, not on their outer beauty. How they treat each other behind the scenes is what counts. If you talk nasty about people, have a hard heart or are just downright rude, you will be eliminated.

Being pretty on the outside doesn't impress God, the ultimate judge. I'm not saying we should not take care of our outward appearance, I'm merely challenging myself to spend more time on working on the thoughts and attitudes that shape my inner beauty. I want my child to learn that there is more to a person than what you see on the outside. That their thoughts and actions and attitudes make up the very essence of who they are.

God does want us to be pretty, but on the inside. 1 Peter 3:4 says "..It (Beauty) should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

I am writing this post for me so thanks for indulging me for a few minutes.

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

I agree with you. We need to make sure our inside is even more beautiful than how we're put together on the outside. Sort of like our marriages. But for now, please don't start a revolution for us to get rid of our make-up!!! Just kidding! Great post!

A House FULL of Grace said...

Great post, Beth. Thanks for sharing what God is doing in your heart. I completely agree with you and am working on that here. It's a lot harder than I'd like to admit.

Love you!