Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What Worked For Us

My sister-in-law asked me to share a couple of things that helped to entertain our five year old son during our recent road trip from NJ to FL. Here's a list of what worked:

1) The Color Wonder, MESS FREE crayola markers and drawing pads. Chris loved this. It literally kept him busy for hours. I bought him a little set from Walmart for about $6. It had 8 Color Wonder markers and a "Cars" drawing pad. The concept is that the picture "magically" appears when you rub one of these special markers over the page. He loved it and I loved the fact that the markers do not rub off on his hands. It was great.

2) Of course the DVD player. I was pleased that he really didn't use it too much during the drive. Since I was sitting in the back of our van with him for the entire trip, I got to watch several of his movies and, while he was napping, You've Got Mail (one of my favorite movies).

3) Having "surprise" snacks was great. Lollipops, Oreos, pretzels, etc.

4) We invested in a new Road Atlas. They are only a couple of dollars at Walmart or Target and he loved it. Even though we have a GPS, this huge Atlas was great for him. I got to show him where we were, what the capital of the state is, what roads we were taking and, since he's a visual kid, he could see how much further we had to go.

5) Leapster. We bought one of these for his birthday and he loves it. There are only educational games on them which help him with spelling, math, etc.

6) Etch-a-sketch, Doodle Pad, and some "pretend" cell phones. Anything with buttons usually works for him.

1 comment:

A House FULL of Grace said...

Wow! You came up with some great ideas...I'm going to borrow a few. Since we live so far out, just about every trip is a road trip. I especially love the atlas idea. Thanks for posting your successes. Love ya!