I read this great story during my devotion time the other day that I thought I'd share. It was written by Cheryl Biehl and hope it speaks to you like it did to me.
" Often we as Christan women get so involved in meeting the needs of others that we forget to take time to refresh ourselves. If you have flown on a commercial airliner lately, you will recognize the speech that the flight attendants recite just before takeoff. It goes something like this: 'In the event of a loss of cabin pressure, an oxygen mask will automatically be lowered. If you are sitting beside a child, first secure your own mask before applying the child's.' They advise you to do that because they realize that unless you as the adult are getting the oxygen you need, you'll be of no help to the child, and you will both perish.
Jesus, filled with absolute love and compassion, went to the mountains to spend time with His Father in prayer, to renew His weary body and soul. When the crowd pressed in upon Him, He suggested to the disciples that they all get away from the crowd and go to the mountains alone.
Are you getting enough "oxygen" in your life to be of maximum benefit to those around you? It is not a selfish gesture to set goals allowing you to refill your cup. Just as an empty teakettle will crack or melt as the heat under it is turned up, so you also will break as the heat of life is turned on "high" when your cup (your emotional and spiritual life) is dry."
Oftentimes I'm pressed to find some quiet time, but it is so important to do that - for myself, my husband and my child.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing, Beth. This is exactly what I needed today. I've been so stressed and Steve keeps telling me to "take a break." I just put on my martyr-mom hat and tell him I don't need one. In the meantime my house and heart are falling apart. Thanks for the great reminder...I'm not sure why it's easier to take it from someone other than my husband, but somehow it is. Need to work on that!
Love you tons.
Happened to me the other day! "We" were taking all the Christmas decorations down and the only one left really working was me. Well I was so upset but in reality, as my husband pointed out, was the only one who knew where everything went and he said, "Don't you like decorating anyway?" I was seeing it as a "job" and not fun and once he reminded me that I LIKE decorating, it became less of a chore and something for me! But I do need to take more time just to spend with the Lord and studying. Thanks for the reminder...can you remind me again in about a week??? Sorry about your grandmother. Hope the services are a beautiful reminder of the woman of God she was.
Post a Comment