Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Divine Email

While working my very first job out of college, my eyes were wide open working in a very corporate world, with many people who were not Christians. Eager to share my faith and to be a light to others, you can imagine my surprise when I received the following email from the Receptionist.

To: All Employees
From: Mary (Not her real name)
Subject: JESUS WILL BE IN THE LARGE CONFERENCE ROOM AT 3:00 PM

There was no further explanation. Just that simple email alerting us that Jesus was coming... at 3:00 pm to our office in midtown Manhattan. I looked at my screen and tried to figure out the meaning. Was there a news alert that Mary find out about and is letting us know? This was before the age of internet so we didn't have breaking news as we have it now. My curiosity had the best of me and I had to find out what this meant. After several minutes, I decided to go to the receptionist and investigate.

"Mary, I am a little confused. I am a Christian and know that Jesus is coming again...but why is it that you believe he's coming today at 3:00?"

"Oh honey", Mary replied... "That's Jesus" (Spanish pronunciation or Hey-Seuss). "He comes every 2 weeks to shine and repair people's shoes. He'll be here at 3:00 in the conference room for anyone that needs some work done. "

Every time I got that email for the next five years, I chuckled to myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth:

When Jesus comes, we will not met him in a conference room. We will meet Him in the air.

He is coming very soon!

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth...You made my day. You should consider writing :) What a good story. Have a great day! Love, Aunt Carol

Liz said...

That's very funny! We live very sheltered lives, don't we.....

Sue said...

LOL!!!