Yesterday our community held a huge garage sale. They hold one every year, but this was the first time that we participated. At first, we didn't think that we had much to put out, but we found several items (baby gear, toys, an old TV, etc) and decided to put it all out to see what happens. So Friday was spent gathering items and tagging them, so on Saturday all we had to do was put them out and sit back.
Well, something unexpected happened on Saturday... I was expecting a few people here and there, but there are some serious garage sale hunters out there, people! They were coming in DROVES... looking and buying. So, the more we sold, the more I started thinking... what else could we sell. So, I ran to my bedroom and grabbed some old books - put them on the table and they sold. Next, I went through some old boxes in the garage that we hadn't tackled on Friday and found more items - put them out and sold them. Then Steve & I looked at each other and we both had the same thought --- the Sofas! Yes, we decided to have our neighbor come over and help Steve haul out our couch and loveseat. Steve has had this set for at least 10 years.. well before we got married. They look really good, but we were planning on buying a new set sometime in the next year. So, out they went.. and we sold them! It was the funniest thing... I had to explain to Chris what was going on.. he looked at me like I was crazy, but I guess a garage sale made me a little crazy. I came back into the house to "check on him" (aka - grab more stuff to sell) and he had taken the cushion from our piano bench and had it on the floor of the living room playing a game. It was hysterical.
Anyway, after the couches, I got a grip and just starting visualizing what I would sell next year. Other than the couches, we didn't sell anything that had been used on a regular basis. Mostly stuff that had been in boxes since our move from Florida. We don't have the wall space or counter space to display most of it and if it's been in a box for over 2 years, the likelihood of it getting used in the next 2 is slim to none.
We were so exhausted by the end of the day, but it was a great time. Chris was thrilled to sell a bunch of his old toys (and we were so proud of the fact that he was able to sort through his things and decide which toys he no longer needed).
Of course the first thing we did after the sale was jump in the car and start furniture shopping... no luck yet, but hopefully soon!
1 comment:
We had the best garage sales when we lived in Paterson. One year I kept doing what you did! One lady came and asked me if I had a comforter set. I thought of the one I hadn't used in years, ran upstairs and grabbed it out of the closet and it was hers for $5.00. Phil was sitting under and umbrella and people kept asking to buy that umbrella!!! Even the chair Phil was sitting in! Some communities are made for garage sales and the one your in sounds perfect!
Post a Comment