The road I take to my weekly bible study is incredibly winding. There are a ton of twists and turns. It's definitely a "back road" - a road I never, ever would have found had my GPS not insisted that it would be the fastest route to my destination. As you can imagine, when my GPS first told me to take that road, I was very cautious. I drove the speed limit, careful at ever turn, every hill, etc. because you just never knew what was going to be around that next turn. I made sure to read each road sign - Yield, Stop, Single Lane ahead, Merge, etc.
Now that I have driven on those roads for over a year, they are quite familiar to me. I am comfortable with it - I don't have to wonder what is beyond that curve or hill - because I know what awaits me. That doesn't mean I speed through it - I still need to be cautious - but because I've traveled this way successfully before, I am more confident and sure that I will be able to handle the curves and turns again and again.
I was thinking how much our walk with the Lord is a walk on winding, twisting, unfamiliar roads at times. We're not sure what is waiting for us at every turn -- every decision. We know he is with us, but we cautiously handle situations. Give it thought and prayer --- follow the road signs in the Bible. God helps us through unfamiliar times and territory so the next time we are faced with decisions or choices or road blocks that seem too hard to handle we can trust in Him. Even when the road is winding and uphill and seemingly confusing - he is with us and guiding us. Trusting God is always the right road to take - NO STOPPING OR STANDING! As we trust Him more and more, and we learn that He is faithful, the roads may not get much straighter, but we can handle them with more ease knowing our faithful Saviour not only awaits us on the other side of that mountain, but is walking (or sometimes carrying us) there.
Listen closely to the Lord today and, as you spend time in His word, may your heart be sensitive to Him to hear some of the "road signs" he may be trying to impart on your journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment