Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Revelation

The pain was so not going away... in fact, it was getting worse. What felt like a pulled muscle now was feeling tight and throbbing. I couldn't for the life of me remember what I did to mess my leg up like that. Perhaps when I was exercising, or when I reached for something or when I was walking? I didn't know the cause, but I was looking for a cure.

We had just moved to Florida and Chris was about 10 months old at this point. We were adjusting nicely to our new Florida surroundings. Steve was settled in at his job, we survived 3 hurricanes, and, after 3 months of searching, we FINALLY found a new church home.

The pain came from nowhere, or so it seemed. I didn't let it slow me down... I stood on a very long line to vote and I walked all over St. Petersburg with Steve & Chris on this particular weekend. But nothing seemed to work and I was desperate to figure it out. It had been about a week since I first sensed the pain and I was fed up.

One afternoon, when the pain seemed unbearable, I remember crying out saying, "Lord... I don't know what this is, or why I am in so much pain, but you know what it is, you know how I got it, and more importantly, you can cure it. Lord, give me wisdom as to what to do." For some silly reason, I had yet to find myself a primary care physician in FLorida at this point. I guess as a Mom, sometimes we put those little details aside. Chris was all set with his doctors, but I was another story.

No sooner did I utter my little petition, I felt the Lord impress on me to search my mind about my daily schedule... about what may be different in my life. So, I did just that. I thought about what Chris & I do every day, where we go, what activities we do, about what we had been eating, vitamins, etc. and then... the great revelation... The only thing different in my life was that I had started taking birth control pills about 6 weeks prior. Could that be the culprit for my pain?? I grabbed the bottle, and as clear as could be (as if written by the Lord himself) it said "IF YOU HAVE ANY PAIN IN YOUR LEGS, CALL YOUR PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY" (I don't know about you, but sometimes I need the Lord to hit me over the head with something.) I immediately grabbed the phone, called my new OB/GYN (at least I had seen an OB/GYN when we moved to FL) and explained my pains. Without letting me even finish my sentence she told me to get over to the E/R as soon as possible.

So, with baby and hubby in tow, I made my first trip to the Emergency Room. Because my pain was a "10" on the scale of 1 - 10, they took me right away and ran some tests. The technician showed no reaction and just told me that the doctor would be right in to speak with me... .that's never a good sign.

The doctor assigned to me came and explained to me that I had a DVT otherwise known as a BLOOD CLOT from my RIGHT KNEE ALL THE WAY UP THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY LEG TO MY WAIST!! She told me I was lucky that it didn't break off and cause an embolism and kill me. Lucky... no. The hand of God.. absolutely.

I am here today to tell this story because God gave me a revelation.. just in time. There's more to this story that I believe I need to share and will do so in the coming days.

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

I remember when this happened and am glad all is well. Enjoy!

Aunt Carol said...

Oh my!!! You sure have some experiences. Thank the Lord for His protecting, loving arms around you. I told you Beth...I think you should write a book! :) Hugs!