Monday, June 29, 2009

I Can Do All Things Through Christ... Except Math

I often wonder what my son is going to remember about his childhood. I grew up going to Christian kids camp (and later teen camp) in the summer and it definitely made an impact... Some years were more memorable than others. One year in particular, we had a very demonstrative speaker named Rick Olson. I enjoyed hearing him because he used puppets and other illustrative tools when sharing the Word -- he was trying to reach us on our level.. as kids.

One night, he was teaching us Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me (or gives me strength depending on which version of the Bible you are using). Anyway, the puppet was to repeat the verse after Rick and every time the puppet repeated the verse, she would add something silly. For example, "I can do all things through Christ... except Math. Or, I can do all things through Christ... except play baseball." Then Rick would go on to explain that with Christ's help you can do anything that he has called you to do. It made an impact. A simple little lesson, shared over 20 years ago.... I remember it.

So, I'm thinking about all the kids out there getting ready to go to summer camps, VBS, or maybe just attending weekly Sunday School. Pray for their teachers... pray for them to be able to reach our children in new and exciting ways that will make a lasting and eternal impact on them.

2 comments:

Lianne said...

What a great way to put that scripture into perspective! It's my favorite verse, but I don't think I've ever thought about it that way. I definitely need to remind myself of that fact every time I feel like I *can't* do something. Thanks for the insight!

Lois Christensen said...

Had fun catching up with the last few days! Glad you had a fun time with your father. I can relate to the GPS story. I borrowed my friend's GPS to get down to the hospital where Phil was and it was great up till the last few miles where it took us off the highway through all these little side streets in a not so nice area. It did bring us to the hospital, but there were so many turns I was so confused where I was and where the hospital was in relation to the hotel. I know I could have punched the hotel address in and it would lead me there, BUT I really like to know where I am and I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get from the hospital to the hotel BEFORE i went and spent the day with Phil. Love the technology, but sometimes I need to know where I am as well! Great stories!