Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Zoo... Finally!

Here is where I would insert the cutest photo of Chris petting a sheep, walking swiftly through the bird cage, riding the zoo's train or just relaxing and having lunch with his classmates, but my camera batteries decided to give up on me just as we got to the zoo yesterday. Isn't that always the case? I say we finally made it to the zoo, because this was the third attempt for his preschool class to get to the zoo. We've had so much rain that you would think it was April, not June. Yesterday, according to the ever-so-accurate meteorologist, was supposed to be partly sunny and 75 degrees. When the bus pulled up to the zoo yesterday it was 63 and drizzling. It's not nice to mess with a mom who is packing for a field trip. I had an umbrella but decided to ditch the jackets because I was only bringing a small tote bag in addition to another little cooler which housed our lunch. I knew this zoo was very hilly and I didn't want to be carrying anything extra then needed. Needless to say, I would have given anything for that jacket in the first two hours of our trip since I have such a low tolerance for being cold.

Chris rode the school bus for the first time too. Mind you, the zoo was 40 minutes away from his school -- that's a long bus ride for a kid who is experiencing it for the first time. Of course I prepped him for the ride, giving him a blow by blow description of what to expect, what the rules are for riding on a bus and making sure he knew that it would be bumpy. He was excited and I was nervous, especially since the parents were not allowed to ride in the bus. So, I followed closely and am pleased to report that he loved it. In fact, he told the bus driver upon exiting the bus that "this was the best ride EVER!"

The kids did really well despite there being 1600 other kids from around New Jersey at the zoo at the same time. It was really a site to behold. Thankfully no one got lost or injured. We had been at this particular zoo with Chris last year so he was all about getting through the exhibits as quickly as possible and then heading over to the play area and the new carousel. Hearing that he would have to stick with his class and painstakingly wait while everyone ohhd and ahhhd at each animal didn't excite him, but I was very proud of how he behaved (and we did reward him with time at the playground and carousel later in the day).

I know so many working moms don't get these opportunities to go on class trips and I'm so grateful that I was able to be there. Even if it wasn't recorded on my camera. I'm sure I can get copies from someone else. All in all a really nice adventure.

Oh and in case you were wondering, Chris' favorite part of the day --- walking through the huge bird cage (there were a ton of birds in there and, honestly, I was just trying my best not to get pooped on.)

1 comment:

Lois Christensen said...

I wouldn't even go near the birds!! For some reason, I fear them pooping but more importantly, I fear them getting stuck in my hair. How strange is that one?? And I think you're very brave for even going on a field trip and tackling the zoo alone!! Sounds like he really enjoyed himself and the bus ride! More importantly, how was your hair through all that drizzle?