Saturday, June 27, 2009

Yesterday

Yesterday can be summed up in one word... TRAFFIC! I'm not the most patient of people (gasp!), and driving in NYC traffic is not on my top five things to do on a Friday afternoon. But, we went to visit some relatives on Long Island yesterday and no matter how you sliced it, I knew I'd be sitting in some sort of Friday afternoon summer traffic. I chose the lesser of two evils (the Bronx versus Queens traffic) and it literally took my ONE HOUR to drive 5 miles. To add insult to injury, there's nothing like listening to the "news" which was basically just broadcasters speculating about Michael Jackson... yes, it's sad, but I'm like enough already. Not to mention waiting for a traffic report that never talks about the road that you are on! That's painful people.

When we finally reached the NJ side, I decided we needed a break so we stopped for dinner at which time an unbelievable rain storm descended on the area. By the time we left, it was just drizzling so I tackled the next leg of the trip and sat in NJ traffic for another hour and a half.

I also had made a promise to my son that he could spend his allowance money yesterday. I didn't think we'd be arriving back home so late, but I really do try to keep my word when it comes to him, unless there are circumstances beyond my control. Did I want to stop at Walmart for him to pick up a can of bubbles? No. Did I do it because I love my son and want him to know that it's important to keep your word? Absolutely. It was 5 minutes of time to complete the task, and I'm so glad we did it.

By the time we got home, I was exhausted, but my son who slept for 2 hours in the car was recharged and ready to go (insert yawn).

Glad we made it home safely. Just found out my hubby is taking an earlier flight home which is good news, but I'll need to pick him up in Queens at JFK airport.. the bad news. Well, if nothing else, after the last 2 travel days, I know I'm ready for anything !!!

No comments: