Thursday, February 5, 2009

Family Tree

There seems to be confusion with some of my family members when it comes to identifying who they are in the family tree. This was first realized many years ago when visiting my Opa and Oma Nettie's church in Whiting, NJ one Sunday morning. At the end of the service, my Opa was introducing us (my Dad and Mom, my brother, my sister and myself) to a group of friends. He introduced all of us by name and my Dad extended his hand to the gentleman and said, "Hi, I'm Joe... I'm the grandson." We were like WHAT?!?!? You're not the grandson, you're the son-in-law. My brother Stephen is the grandson. Needless to say we all had a hearty laugh over that one. To this day we'll tease my Dad at random with "I'm the Grandson!" and always get a laugh.

Well, apparently this trait has spread to future generations. Yesterday, while at the Post Office, my son introduced himself to the postal worker as follows: "Hi, I'm Christopher and this is my wife, Beth". I about fell over. I exclaimed, "Chris, I'm your Mommy, not your Wife." He heard Steve introduce me as his wife to one of his co-workers earlier in the day, so Chris figured that was the way to go. It was very cute. Don't worry - we've gotten it straightened out now.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Beth, that is HYSTERICAL! Love it.

Anonymous said...

Chris is too cute!!!! I can see he brings you a world of joy! Have fun! Every day with laughter is a precious gift!

A House FULL of Grace said...

Love it! Hey, at least he's got the introductions down, that's impressive...!