Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Butcher of Chester

Because I have such fair skin, I go to the dermatologist at least once a year to have my skin examined and any atypical moles removed. Years of burning in the sun in hopes of a tan has left me with more than one scar from moles that have been removed over the years.

So, now that I'm in NJ, I sought out a new dermatologist and went in for a routine exam. I figured he would just look at my skin, ask about my history and maybe remove one or two questionable moles for a biopsy. Boy was I wrong. The guy examined me alright and proceeded to remove about 25 moles for biopsy. I knew I was in trouble when he ran out of the Alphabet. He was reading out measurements and locations to his assistant so she could document it. He literally made it all the way from A to Z and wasn't even done. To make it worse, the novacane he gave me before he took off the moles burned me like crazy. I was crying because of the pain. He tried to lighten the mood and asked me what was worse.. giving birth or this. I told him in no uncertain terms that this was worse... I had a c-section and that was nothing compared to the pain I felt. I am now covered from head to toe with bandaids that need to be dressed and changed every day for the next two weeks... most of them in hard to reach places. Not to mention having a 5 year old bounce on you all day.

When I went to Nursery School to pick up Chris, I must have been a real sight because some of the mom's were asking if I was okay. Grant it I had no make up on (you can't wear make up when going to a dermatologist who needs to see all your blemishes) and secondly, he removed a cyst from the corner of my eye so I have a very unsightly bruise there. One of the mom's asked me which doctor I went to and when I told her his name she exclaimed, "Oh.. the Butcher of Chester (the town of Chester)." She goes to him too and loves him. He's very proactive in removing moles she told me. No kidding... and the best part is ... I get to go back in two weeks for some more fun and games. Maybe next time he will only have to use half the alphabet.

Better safe then sorry!!

4 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Oh you poor thing!!! Hope you're feeling better today.

Anonymous said...

Oh Beth! I feel so bad for you. Sounds like torture! Hope and pray everything is clear and you feel better soon. Love you!

A House FULL of Grace said...

I'm so sorry, but at least you know he's a reputable doctor!!! Take it easy and use it as an excuse to eat lots of ice cream. I don't know why that's logical, but somehow it just seems like it is!!!

Lianne said...

Wow! I wish my dermatologist was more like that. Mine is a "wait and see" kind of guy. My dad had melanoma, so I'm paranoid about my fair skin and mole collection. Hope you've healed up a lot by now!

p.s. I found you through Walking on Sunshine, and like your blog. I'm your newest follower!