Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A New Era

It's inevitable that your child asks questions... it seems like we've moved from the "Why" "How" "When" section to the "let's ask the most embarrassing questions LOUDLY" department.

Yesterday due to a last minute play date cancellation, I was faced with the decision to cancel my much needed haircut appointment, or take Chris with me. If it was just a haircut, I wouldn't have been too concerned... 30 minutes tops. But, I knew I was getting some highlights as well so this was going to be at least 1 1/2 hours at the hairdresser. Not wanting to go on vacation with bad hair, I decided to reason (aka..bribe) Christopher to come along. Promises of a new video game for good behavior. He was sold.. I was scared.

He actually did relatively great for the first 45 minutes. I had a little bag of entertainment for him and snacks and he happily sat next to me (thank goodness there was an empty chair there) and asked a million questions about every part of my appointment. He couldn't get past the aluminum foil in my hair, or the big sink where they rinse out my hair and the big chairs with the blow dryers that come over your head. He was fascinated and wanted to experience every part for himself. He was convinced that he, too, wanted blonde highlights, a shampoo and a chance to sit under the big blow dryer.

At about the one hour mark, he was done being amused and ready for us to move on... to the Walmart next store to claim his reward for good behavior. He was sitting next to me at the big blow dryer and we were talking a little louder because of the noise of the dryer. There was an older women sitting right next to us getting a hair cut. I guess Chris had never seen a women getting a short hair cut so, out of his mouth to my sheer horror.. he loudly asks me "Mom, is that a MAN??? " I wanted the chair to swallow me up right then and there. Clearly it was a women... just with super short hair. I tried to explain it in a quiet voice not to cause more damage then was done.. but he kept saying. rather, yelling.. WHAT? What mom? I Can't hearrrrr youuuuu!!" Great.. you cant' hear me but the he/she getting his/her hair done certainly can.

Oh well. Just one of many embarrassing moments to come.

1 comment:

Lois Christensen said...

Very funny!!! I use to take both kids with me when I had to go get my hair done, about every 6 weeks. I hated it. It was never relaxing. They both were always pretty good, but I always stressed they would get into something, etc. I always left with my hair wet because I couldn't take the stress anymore of them losing it while they were drying my hair.

That poor lady. I'm sure she understood!