Yesterday was my first experience with our school's Field Day. We had the choice of supplying food, equipment or volunteering our time to help out. So, since I always like to be at whatever events I can to see Christopher in action, I volunteered my time. The idea behind Field Day is that all the students and teachers are outside all day playing various games.. they move from station to station every 15 minutes.
Heat and I don't necessarily mix. For those of you who have ever had the pleasure of vacationing with me, you may have seen me suffer from extreme sunburns, heat stroke or almost pass out at the turtle farm in Grand Cayman (right, Sue!?) So, I was really concerned when I saw yesterday's forecast for 88 degrees. I loaded on the sunblock, grabbed my hat and stood outside in the hot sun for 3 1/2 hours. I was smart enough to bring plenty of water and a good friend gave me an extra chair she had so I could "rest" in between groups. Well, I got my station set up and my butt never graced that chair once! I had back to back groups and by the time the third group came I lost my voice from talking. See, I had the ring toss game and I was constantly chasing after the target (which was made on a shower curtain that wasn't taped down to the ground), redistributing the rings to the 4 teams and explaining the instructions, counting up points, etc. I talked non-stop for those 3 1/2 hours. I knew that I had to be careful or else I would end up with heat stroke yet again. The funny thing was, when I looked around at the other stations, all the other moms had easier games. They were chatting with the teachers, relaxed and not breaking a sweat.
It was all worth it when my son's class came through as my very last station. He was thrilled because both Steve & I were there (Steve and another Dad walked the course with the kids and the teachers).
Next year I'm volunteering to bring water and begging for an easy game.
No comments:
Post a Comment