My mom uttered that phrase more often than I'd care to admit (I was the instigator in our home.. I'd start the fights and my sister and brother would battle it out so to speak). I've never had a cause to use that phrase in our home, but last night was the first time I was tempted to open my mouth and speak those very words.
I wasn't feeling so good - just exhausted. Went to a bowling birthday party for one of Chris' friends, came home and literally fell asleep on the couch for about an hour. Steve had to go to work so Chris and I were home. I did my best to entertain him with what little strength I had. So, I thought let's go down to the playroom so he could play with some toys and I could check some email and do a little work.
He asked to play with his paints and thought that was a great idea. We got the art smock on, all the washable paints out and off he went. I was sitting right there which makes what happens next even more unbelievable. He showed me two beautiful pictures he painted and asked if he could paint just one more before bedtime. Sure, no problem. So, I wrapped up what I was doing and literally 2 minutes later I turned my head and saw green paint all over the white speckled berber carpet!! By this time, Chris had gotten some toilet paper from the bathroom and trying to wipe up the mess. "Why didn't you tell me you had an accident with the paint?" " I was just trying to clean it up myself." I flipped into clean up mode and grabbed my Bissell Spot Bot (every house with small children and carpets should have one of those), my Resolve carpet cleaner and got to work. It was not pretty and I honestly didn't know if it was going to come out. Yes, it was "washable" paint, but it just doesn't wipe off of carpet.
Honestly, I had no one to blame but myself. I'm usually very proactive about making sure he has old towels around his art area when he is painting, but I was so out of it last night, it didn't even cross my mind. Kids are kids... things happen. I spent a while trying to get the stains out.. yes, more than one stain and somehow they were splattered around. Eventually, I was happy with the job I'd done, went upstairs and put Chris to bed.
When we got up this morning, Steve & I came down to investigate. Here I am telling him what I good job I did cleaning the stain and that he probably wouldn't even notice it.... Well... surprise, surprise - I could TOTALLY see the stains as soon as I walked into the room. Thankfully, my wonderful husband grabbed the Oxiclean, made a paste and spread it on the stains. I'm happy to report that he worked wonders and the carpet is totally clean. It's amazing. Big sigh of relief. No painting today...unless towels are present.
1 comment:
My husband never would have noticed. And at least your dad had a long commute to come home from the city to your house. My dad had only had to cross the driveway!
Post a Comment