Monday, July 20, 2009

Getting Ready for Summer

Summer break is coming. I know, you are probably thinking that I'm a little late or having a very blonde moment. But, since Chris was in an extended school year (4 extra weeks of school), this Friday is the official start of his summer break. He's really enjoyed these last four weeks -- it was really more of a camp. Nothing intense, just some opportunity to reinforce the social skills and have fun! I was a little concerned because I had never met his teacher and, unlike his preschool, I am not getting regular feedback on how he's doing. So, I must rely on what little information he shares. The other day, however, he came home and told me that he was sad because he didn't get to hear the entire story that the teacher read in class. When I asked him why not, he promptly informed me that he had received a "sad face" for not listening to instructions and was in the time out area for part of the story. So, after our little heart-to-heart about the importance of following the teacher's instructions and directions, he looked at me with big eyes and burst out with, "Well, at least I only got one sad face... my friend Jason got t-h-r-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e sad faces today." Jason's mom must be thrilled.

To prove that he "got" the message on the importance of following the teacher's directions, the following day he came home and announced that he did not receive any sad faces (whew!). However, when my husband tried to correct him for something later in the day, Chris exclaimed, "Dad... you are not the teacher." So, we had another heart-to-heart explaining that while it is important to listen to teachers, they do not out-rank Mom and Dad. I can just hear him in school tomorrow, "Mrs. C... you are not my mother." Here's crossing my fingers that he won't go there... and earn another sad face.

1 comment:

Lois Christensen said...

Amazing what he comes up with!! Love the sad face thing! What a great idea and so easy for kids to remember! Hope he enjoys his time off from school!