The day before my father-in-law had surgery earlier this year (which caused his subsequent stroke), I had made him his much beloved banana bread and smuggled it into the hospital for him to enjoy. After his stroke, he was placed on feeding tubes and it's been hard for him not to enjoy "real" everyday foods. Recently he has been able to finally eat pureed foods. This is a huge step (and he's even able to feed himself). So, in honor of his progress in this area, Chris and I baked him a banana bread to take to him this weekend. I added some extra ingredients to ensure it is ultra moist and, if we need to, I can puree it a little for him. I can't wait to see the look on his face when we present it to him. God is good and we continue to give him praise for the progress Domingo is making.
Here's the recipe for "One Pot Banana Bread"
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar (or splenda)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup orange juice (optional -- I like to use it to make the bread super moist)
2 large eggs
3 large bananas, very ripe (mash them up with a fork to make it easier to mix)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Coat a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients one at a time, mixing well after each addition with a wire whisk. (if mixture seems too dry, add more orange juice.) You don't want the mixture "runny" but moist. Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly, and then turn the loaf out onto a platter or board.
No comments:
Post a Comment