Monday, February 21, 2011

Ready for Battle

Every morning I pray that God gives me strength for the battles that I will inevitably face that day.... Literally... I face battles EVERY DAY. Sometimes once a day.. but more often than not it is THREE times a day. You see, having a seven year old who LOVES Legos, I am invited every day, three times a day, to participate in a LEGO Battle. Sometimes I am faced with an early morning battle (before first cup of coffee). I am usually greeted with another one right after homework is completed in the afternoon. And you can be sure there is a third battle right before bedtime. Let me tell you -- it's exhausting being on the front line! But so worth it. Trust me -- I don't feel like going into battle every day, and sometimes I'm able to push off a battle or delay the start time so I can get a few more minutes of rest or at least a sip of coffee before facing my 7 year old challenger and his fleet of Star Wars Legos.

One of the coolest things I've been able to do is to start teaching him about different Bible battles while we are playing. Fore example -- he thinks that the biggest plane or space ship always wins the battle which opened the door for me to remind him of the story of David and Goliath. So I'm excited to get to reintroduce these Bible stories he knows while he is playing with favorite toys. You never know what will stick with kids as they grow up. So - for those of you "in the battle" with your kids each day, maybe you can turn what seems like mindless play time into some important lessons for everyday life.

And yes -- It's 8:03 on a holiday, President's Day, and I already participated in Battle 1 of the day at 7:30.

No comments: