Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Words of Advice

Here are some words of advice to the mother whose son's life I saved at the pool today.

1) When taking your child to the pool, it would be helpful if you, yourself wore a bathing suit. Although you looked stylish standing next to the pool in your Capri's, fancy heels and halter top, it wasn't exactly pool appropriate attire.

2) When your son is not tall enough to stand in the pool by himself, don't let him go down the slide without you being IN THE POOL waiting to catch him. (See Advice #1)

3) Don't count on all the rest of the moms at the pool to be keeping our eyes out on your son. I didn't see him in distress until it was almost too late.

4) When you need my assistance to save your son because I, unlike you, am IN the pool with my son, don't just point to me and say sweetly in a calm voice that your son is having trouble and he keeps going under... my advice is to either A) JUMP INTO THE POOL to save his life B) YELL LIKE A MANIAC and get people's attention.

5) After the life guard and I both went through great lengths to save your son, a nice thank you would have been appropriate...I'm sure the fact that you didn't get near else was because you were afraid we would splash you therefore forcing you to send your outfit to the dry cleaners.

6) After all of the above had transpired, Please, Please, Please, do not allow your son to go BACK DOWN THE SLIDE -- it blew my mind that you allowed him to go again forcing the lifeguard to once again jump in and rescue him.

7) My last piece of advice -- GET A CLUE! better yet -- stay home

2 comments:

Lianne said...

You've. GOT. To. Be. Kidding!!! Crazy! What a blessing you were to that little boy. You were his guardian angel. I will thank you, even if Prissy won't! Wow!!!

Lois Christensen said...

Wow. When my kids were younger I was always in a bathing suit right there near them. Thankfully we spent a lot of time in the lake so it was easy but when we were in Atlanta, we had a pool in the complex and that is where my kids really learned to swim with me alongside them.

Great letter. Hope all moms with young children realize they need to be with them in pools, not sitting nearby keeping their hair dry.