Wednesday, July 21, 2010

One Extraordinary Sunday

Today Steve & I celebrate the 8th anniversary of our "reconnection". We first met as teenagers and became friends. Then we lost touch for 15 years. Then, 8 years ago today, he walked back into my life.. and hasn't left LOL That's a GOOD thing. Here's a little recap that I posted last year that always makes me smile..

I just rolled my eyes after I heard this message on my answering machine over eight years ago...

"Beth, this is your sister... where are you?? You must still be at church. Anyway, it's Sunday night and I just spent the last 40 minutes talking to your future husband.... AND YOU KNOW WHO IT IS!!! Call me as soon as you get this message..."

Ok... first of all, for those of you who know my sister, she is very excitable, so you can only imagine the squeals of delight that accommodated that message. Secondly, I had no idea who she was talking about or what she was talking about. I was a single girl, living in Lancaster and relatively happy with where I was at with my life. I had great friends, a good job, I was active in an awesome church and was learning how to cope with my mom's passing.

So, after replaying the message a second time, I called my sister back and she rapidly and excitedly told me that at church that day she had run into a guy she knew from college, Steve M. It had been years since they had seen each other and after a few minutes of chit chat he asked how I was doing. Ruth didn't even remember that he knew me (she had introduced us when we were teenagers, we formed a friendship but lost touch once I went away to college). So, she of course mentioned that I was still single (thanks for the plug, Ruth) and living in Pennsylvania. She threw in that I often came to NJ to visit and that we'd all have to get together sometime.

Honestly, my first reaction to this was not very positive. "Ruth, I haven't seen this guy in like 15 years. I'm not the same girl.. I'm no teenager and certainly I don't look like I did back in those days." But she was determined. My sister enjoys being a matchmaker and was successful in pairing up several of her friends. Up until this point, the matches she made for me were anything but successful. One guy tried to sell me Amway products during the entire course of dinner. Thankfully, this was a double date with my sister and brother-in-law at whom I repeatedly rolled my eyes throughout that disaster of a dinner/date. Next up was a blind date with a guy that had a personality of a wooden door -- didn't crack a smile all night. It was painful. I definitely needed someone who can laugh.

Who would have known that eventually Steve & I did reconnect (much to my sister's glee!) I shared with you all last year on my blog about how God brought Steve and I back together through bizarre circumstances (I was living in NJ because of a stroke my father had suffered). Today marks seven years since that "reconnection" and we treat it like an anniversary. I'm so excited and, honestly, marrying a man who loves God, me and our son, was so worth the wait. We often joke about why we never dated as teenagers... how awesome it would have been to not have lost touch for those 15 years... but then we realize that God had a purpose in those 15 years. He used that time to make us ready to be the man and woman of God we needed to be in this marriage. God's timing is perfect.. always

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. "James 1:17

No comments: