Saturday, January 2, 2010

Will It Be Remembered?

I'm sure my mom had better things to do with her time than to host a Vacation Bible School class in our home that one summer. She invited all the kids from the block and for at least 1 -2 hours a day, she would teach a lesson, do a craft, sing songs and pour out the love of Jesus into these kids. No one made her do it.. she felt like it was something she needed to do. These kids needed to hear about Jesus and if she couldn't bring them to church, she would just open up her home. Somewhere I have a picture of us all setting on my parents couch... there must have been 7 or 8 kids there each day. I'm sure there was a sticker chart for memory verse memorization too. She had an old flannel board and probably used material from her sunday school class. So simple in theory. I'm sure she wondered if she was getting through to these kids... would it make a difference... would it even be remembered... She wasn't doing it for herself that's for sure.

Many years have passed since that special VBS week in my home and the most unexpected thing happened just a day ago. I reconnected with a guy on Facebook who used to live on our block. He had not heard that my mom passed away and he said the most amazing thing to me " Beth.. your mom was an amazing woman and I'll never forget the week that she had VBS in your home. I have such happy memories from that week."

I just thought that was the neatest thing I've ever heard. I think Mom would smile knowing that this man remembers the VBS lessons she shared over 30 years ago. Thanks Mom for reaching out when you didn't have to... it IS remembered and made a difference!

It really is challenging me to reach out to the kids in my own neighborhood this year too.

1 comment:

Aunt Carol said...

Wonderful story...great memories. Your Mom was an amazing woman. I will never forget her. I can see you are following in her footsteps! Hugs and Love