Today Chris returned to school after his winter break...otherwise known as the week that he had scarlet fever and spent every day, all day inside our house. He is feeling better except for a lingering cough. His precious cough lingered around my own face a little too much last week and I have been pretty sick myself...thus I finally made an appointment to see the doctor. The only appointment open was in the afternoon, meaning I would have to take Chris with me.
When he got home from school, I announced the plan of action: lunch, a little playtime, potty and then into the van to head to the doctor for mommy's appointment. The look of sheer joy on his face as he realized that the appointment was for ME and not HIM was priceless. "So, you are going to be the patient?" "Yes, Mommy will be the patient". I could see that this intrigued him. I packed a bag of books, little toys and other things to amuse him. I was just hoping he would sit still long enough in the doctor's office without touching things so the doctor could actually fully examine me. On the way out the door, he told me in his cutest 6-year old voice, " Mommy, if you are REAL brave, I will give you a sticker when you get home". (Love it when he throws my own words back at me!)
We got there no problem and had no wait which was great! We headed into the room and Chris took his chair... didn't remove his coat .. he just sat there.. waiting. The nurse came in and soon started filling out my chart. She then took my temperature which looked weird to Chris since he usually gets it taken under his armpit and I had it under my tongue.. He thought that was so cool. Then she took out the equipment to do my blood pressure. And then I saw it... He broke out into the big, sly smile. He was truly enjoying seeing his mother having to endure the same procedures he usually is subjected to. He didn't want a book, a toy, a candy... No, all he wanted was to see mom getting a taste of her own medicine.
When the doctor came in, she checked my ears, my lungs, my heart, etc. He could barely contain himself. He just sat there smiling and I'm sure thinking, "That's right... give it all to her". The best part was at the end... the doctor diagnosed me with bronchitis and a sinus infection (that wasn't the good part), but as she was getting ready to walk out the door, he said to her, "Wait.. isn't she going to get a vaccination?" That little stinker wanted to see me get a shot! Too funny. I had a great laugh. We told him I was too sick to get a flu vaccination this time, but next time he could come back to witness it.
Nice.....
No comments:
Post a Comment