Monday, January 11, 2010

What's the Most Valuable Thing In Your House?

When we lived in Florida, we became friends with an older couple who lived in a very beautiful home. At the time, Chris was a young toddler and, as you can imagine, going to someone's lavish home with many delicate items was always a cause for alarm. One of us always had an eye out to make sure Chris didn't bump into something, accidentally bump, push or spit up on items, etc.

On our very first visit to this lovely couple's home, the wife pulled me aside and she must have seen the look of concern that I had. She turned to me and said, "Beth... there is NOTHING here in this home that is as valuable as your son. Do not fret or worry about anything while you are here visiting. I want you to enjoy yourself and let your son be a boy. He is the most precious thing in this house and he can not be replaced." I was so taken aback by her statement and she put my mind at ease. From then on out, I didn't worry about anything... we always enjoyed our visits there. Thankfully, we were also blessed with a boy who is good mannered.

I always strive to follow her motto and thought I'd share with all of you... I'm sure you are all wonderful hosts and hostesses as well.

1 comment:

Lois Christensen said...

I think I can agree with your friend. But if I see kids heading for the computer, well that's a different story! Another thing that bothers me is when parents let their kids just bang away on my piano. I usually say something for that. Glad you were able to enjoy your visits without worry!