Thursday, March 5, 2009

His Mercies Are New Every Morning

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday Domingo did not look good at all. He was unresponsive and it was heart wrenching. Today when I walked into the Critical Care Unit, I instantly noticed that he looked better. His color had improved, his breathing was better and his fever had broken. I walked over to him and announced that I was there, gave him a kiss and grabbed his "good" hand and he squeezed it hard! Praise God. Steve & I decided that he looked well enough for Chris to see him. We explained to him what he would see as far as all the tubes hooked up to his grandfather. He walked right in and gave his grandfather a kiss and when Chris grabbed his good hand, he squeezed it. I even saw a little tear coming out of his eye although his eyes were closed. We then had a prayer vigil by his bed with all his children and Chris holding hands. We anointed him with oil and, in true pentecostal fashion, demanded the blood clot to be dissolved. The nurse was in the room the entire time, but you know us, that didn't hinder us one bit.

Not ten minutes later, we could visibly see more movement and activity in his left side (his good side) The nurse came in and started asking him to move each finger individually on his left side and he did it. Then she asked him to wiggle his left foot and he could do that. The clincher was when she asked him to give a thumbs up and he did that. That proved to her (and us) that he could hear us and follow instructions. He was responsive again!! We give God all the glory for that. What a witness to that nurse. We were very encouraged today and are thanking each of you for your part in praying for him and for each of us. We feel those prayers and are seeing God at work. We are excited to see this improvement. The CAT scan today remained the same as yesterday, but that is a good sign - meaning that his brain is not swelling worse than it was. His vital signs are good. Steve is spending the night by his father's bedside so keep him in prayer.

This verse spoke to me so much yesterday: "My whole being follows hard after You and clings closely to You; Your right hand upholds me" Psalm 63:8. What a thought that even though Domingo's entire right side is paralyzed, God is upholding him with HIS right hand. What an awesome God.

Keep praying!!

3 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Beautiful Beth! I pray your father-in-law will continue to improve! I love how Chris reacted towards him and the way his grandfather responded. I'll never forget Olivia and Michael sitting with their Opa while he was in the hospital on the respiratory, each of them holding one of his hands and the grip my father had on their hands. We'll continue to pray!

Lianne said...

Praise God for his everlasting mercy and grace! I am so glad that his health is improving! It is so wonderful to see God's hand at work!

A House FULL of Grace said...

Praise God from who all blessings flow! Looking forward to continued miracles...

Love you!