Close your eyes and picture the best gift you have ever received. It was probably nicely wrapped and given to you by someone very special. Do you remember how that gift made you feel? Is it proudly displayed in your house, or something that you use every day? Maybe it is very delicate and something that you only bring out on special occasions. Perhaps it has a certain texture, taste or smell. Whatever that special gift is, I'm sure you were very thankful and grateful to the person who gave it to you. Even more so, I'm sure that you treat that gift with great care. Making sure it doesn't break or get damaged. Using it with care. Treating it with all the love that tends to go towards things of great worth. Maybe it's not an expensive item, but because of it's meaning to you, it's very, very special.
The other day I was behind a very beat up old car. It had definitely seen better days. The paint was faded, it had several dents in it and basically looked like it was ready to stall at any given time. On any other day I probably wouldn't have noticed it on the road. However, I was stuck at a red light behind it, and something on the rear bumper caught my eye. A simple bumper sticker with what I assumed would be a worthless message. As I squinted to make the words out, I was surprised to find these words on the faded sticker "Children are a gift from God". I found it so odd that on this beat up old broken down car, would be a message about Children being a gift from God. It looked out of place almost. But then I got it. Sometimes I am like that beat up old, broken down car that looks out of place. My engine (my heart) is not functioning quite right if I haven't had my quiet time with God; I could be in desperate need of an oil change (attitude adjustment) and perhaps a little fixing on the outside (how I speak to others) couldn't hurt. But even in that state, when I'm not looking pretty inside or out, I'm still a child of God and more importantly, God has given me the gift of a child. My son is a gift. How am I treating that gift? Think back to the gift you pictured before. Are we treating our children like a prized possession, taking great care of their needs? Or are we quilty of treating them well on special occasions or when we "feel" like it. Do our moods dictate our actions or are we loving at all times? For some reason, this old car just really challenged me to take better care of my special gift. Not that I haven't been taking care of him, but making a more conscious effort to value, love and let my little gift know that he is loved by me and his Dad and most importantly, by his heavenly father.
May all your "gifts" be blessed today.
4 comments:
This is beautiful. I needed to hear this today. Thanks for sharing!
Beautiful post, Beth! So true! then comes the grandchildren. I thank God every day for my wonderful gifts from God. You have a special gift of writing. You always seem to bless my heart. Maybe you should contact the "Proverbs 31" woman! :) Have a great day!
Very nice.
Great reminder, Beth. Thank you for sharing your heart and your conviction. It sure helps me put things in persepective here.
Love you.
Post a Comment