It was 3 nights before our wedding. The clock read midnight. My eyes were shutting quickly and my mind was racing. So much to do... so little time. I had just worked a full day in NYC and had spent the evening with my fiance over at the wedding venue to finalize plans for our special day. All I wanted to do, was wash my face, close the blinds and crawl into bed before another busy day was upon me.
I quickly moved about my bedroom, anxious to just collapse. I had just picked up my wedding dress the day before and it was hanging on a hook on the back of my bathroom door, along with my veil. Up until that night, the veil had been in a bag, but I was letting it hang in the open so it wouldn't wrinkle and would be all set for the big day.
For some reason that night, one of the vertical blinds would not properly close. My bedroom got lots of sunlight, so I always wanted to make sure the blinds were closed so it would remain dark in the room for as long as possible. So, here it is midnight, and I was in no mood to be fighting with the blind. I tried my best to get it to go back in its proper place, but no matter how I tugged on it, it just wouldn't align. I was ready to break the thing off and probably would have if it were my own house. So, I decided the best thing to do was to fully extend the blind which would then put it back in it's proper place. Fine. So, I extended it out, twisted it and then released it.... only to hear a ripppp!
My heart stopped. What was that??? I turned around to see that my beautiful veil was the victim of my brilliant plan. There were two holes.. in my veil... three days before my wedding. No one to blame except myself. So, I did what any bride-to-be would do with a torn veil at midnight three days before her wedding. I cried... then called my fiance. He was sympathetic and I think relieved to know that his hysterical wife-to-be wasn't injured in a car crash. I think he was more than bewildered as to why I was sobbing about this torn veil. So, he did what any male would do... try to come up with a solution. His suggestion, you may ask? Tape. I know he meant well and grant it, he is not an expert in the field of wedding apparel. I told him that I knew for a fact that tape would not solve this problem. He tried to assure me that no one would notice. But I would know! I couldn't even begin to imagine walking down the aisle with a torn veil. Someone would see it, but more importantly, I would know that it was torn. I finally calmed down enough to fall asleep and figured I would just have to deal with it in the morning. The entire evening I had dreams of me walking down the aisle with everyone looking and whispering about my torn veil.
Thankfully, the problem was solved the next day when my sister's friend (who was a seamstress) was able to repair the veil and no one was any the wiser. Hmm.. just remembered that a good friend of mine used my veil last week in her wedding. I don't think I mentioned this story to her. LOL. Well, I guess she heard it now!!
1 comment:
Wow! Beth... You have so many good stories and life experiences! I see a "book" in the future!! :) You really have a gift for writing. I enjoy reading your blog. Hope everything is going well for you and your family. Have a great day!
Love and Prayers.
Post a Comment