Monday, August 4, 2008

No Bible, No Breakfast

I recently read Stephen Baldwin's book "The Unusual Suspect" in which he describes how he was radically saved not long after September 11th. It's a powerful, sometimes funny story how this Hollywood actor gave his heart to Christ. After he was saved, he met a group of Christians who introduced him to this basic principal of "No Bible, No Breakfast" . It's pretty simple... just read your bible and pray (he recommends an hour) before you have breakfast (or coffee). If you are like me, I'm lucky to get up, grab a shower and dry my hair before my little guy is up and going. So, I thought this would be really hard for me. Then I started feeling guilty because, looking back on my life, I had no problem getting up for trips, or fun with friends. For about 6 years I would wake up at 4:30 am every morning (back when I was single) to commute to the job I loved in Philadelphia. It's all about what is important to you.

This morning I was up at 6:00 am and had my quiet time. So, I'm on a quest to make this my priority and not squeeze it in sometime during my day. Will I be able to do it everyday? I don't know. But I'm going to try. How about you? Want to join in? I know it's going to change my life.

3 comments:

2 Boys' Mom said...

Wow, that is an encouragement to me. I really need to do that. It is hard with my one year old teething right now and up a lot at night.....no excuse I know. I normally do mine at night before bed but sometimes fall asleep. =(

Liz said...

I want to do this along with you too. I usually am up before everyone else, and I usually pray in bed. But recently, I've been sleeping later...then when I get up, my little guy is usually up, wanting me, or the dog or cat...or something else, and I have no time for myself...so I will wake up by 5:30am starting tomorrow...and have quiet time alone with my Lord. Thanks Beth for the encouragement.

Lois Christensen said...

Hey Beth...didn't know you had a blog! Found the link over at Liz's today. Hope all is well and you finally get that house sold! Enjoyed reading about your little one also! Lois