Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Day The Lights Went Out

About 5 years ago, much of the Northeast was struck with a huge blackout. I was several months pregnant and working in NYC at the time the lights went out. I remember sitting at my desk on the 43rd floor of this building on Park Avenue thinking, how am I ever going to get home. My daily commute consisted of a 40 minute bus ride (without traffic) and either a 20 minute walk or 10 minute subway ride to my office. With no power, forget either means of transportation. It was chaos and I was in the middle of it.

I called Steve to let him know what happened and, thankfully, he was home that day. He told me to somehow make my way to the ferry to New Jersey and he would meet me on the NJ side. So, I grabbed my post 9/11 emergency kit which included a bottle of water and other odds and ends, left a voice message for my boss saying I was leaving, and decided to get going. At this point, we just thought NY was affected and had no idea if this was a terrorist act or not. I was not thrilled with the idea of getting into an elevator, and at this point, they were not running. I was scared. This was my biggest fear of working in Manhattan (after Sept 11) come true. Walking down 43 flights of stairs was the only way out. Thankfully I had on flat shoes that day..otherwise forget about it.

Looking back, I am so thankful for many things about that day. First, that God had guided me to eat a larger lunch that day. Being pregnant, sometimes I'd eat a large breakfast and smaller lunch, but this day I reversed it. I know that was God's hand on my life...little would I know that I wouldn't be able to eat again till 10:30 pm. Second, and most importantly, God spoke into my friend Kathlynn's life and she stuck by me the whole day. She walked me down 43 flights of stairs, walked ACROSS Manhattan with me, found me a place to sit, gave me her bottle of water, and once she was assured that I was comfortable, embarked on a mission to find us a way home. We knew we had to take a ferry home...it was the only way across the river to NJ. The problem was, there were tens of thousands of people also trying to take a ferry home. It was easily going to be a six to seven hour wait. Kathlynn saved the day by being one of the first people to find out that the Circle Line Ferry was going to run people back and forth to NJ. So, we were able to quickly get in line and about 3 hours later, we were on our way.


God has always blessed me with incredible friends, even in the worst of work places. That is no accident. I learned long ago that God cares for his children. I am still so grateful to Kathlynn for her helping hand that day. She didn't need to help me or stay by me. She had other options and other friends that she could have connected with to get home. I may never be able to repay Kathlynn for the kindness she showed me that day, but maybe one day I'll be able to be that kind of friend to someone else.

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

I remember this day so well! I remember speaking with Ruth about you and she told us of what you were going through to get home! So glad the Lord ALWAYS watches over us and we can look back on the terrible times in our lives and see His hand upon us!

Liz said...

I remember that day very well too, it a very hot summer day and our power here in NJ blinked, then went back on again. We were in the pool. Then we went in and put the t.v. on and it was all over the news. I remember calling Ruth and asking about you, and hoping that Dianne and Rich were ok. Yes, our Lord protects us always!